"Do You Really Love Me??"

Monday, January 4, 2010

Smile and the World Smiles Back

It's true! I repeat this phrase in my head over and over again. Everyday, I try to put it into action. Sometimes, I feel like coming up to a random person and greet him/her like I've known him/her for years! But, my shyness takes over and besides, strangers aren't taken lightly in this world anymore! SO, I just try to offer simple phrases, and simple smiles and see how they would react. Most of the time, I get a smile back, but there are times when my smile goes unnoticed. Here are a few instances (good and bad):


~~ A week ago, I went to a well-known pharmacy and bought some vitamins. The clerk who assisted me looked like she hasn't slept in a week! She looked tired and moody. A bad combination right before the new year rang in! She assisted me and got me what I needed. When she handed me my change, I gave her a huge smile and said, "Thanks! Have a happy new year!" Guess what, I saw her face light up and a smile crept up her face like it was itching to come out the whole day and she replied back with a "Happy new year, too, ma'am!"

~~On new year's eve, I went along with a friend to the gas station to have her car filled up, there were gas boys scrambling around and telling each other how they don't get any vacation since they work at a gas station but all the gas boys seemed happily joking around. The security guard working there, however, seemed just the opposite: he seemed sullen. I thought, "hm, he's a good target for "'smile and the world smiles back!' challenge". So, as he stood on my side of the car, he assisted my friend driving out of the gas station and I waved at him and yelled, "happy new year!" before i closed my window. Unfortunately, he remained as sad as before. Not even an inch of a smile...

~~A few weeks ago, at our favorite coffee shop, I opened the door for an elderly man as I was going out. He actually wanted ME to go out first! But that meant, that the door would close behind me and he looked a little frail to be opening a door by himself. I insisted that he came in first. He gave me a huge smile and the most sincere "thank you" i've ever received in the longest time! I couldn't help but smile at him and say, "No problem, have a good day!"


Simple things.. Simple gestures... but they mean a lot! I urge you to take the challenge!!

"SMILE AND THE WORLD SMILES BACK!"

see how many smiles you get back! you may even be surprised yourself. Don't get discouraged when you don't get a smile back, though! Then, tell me all about it! Post it as a comment or email me your story at the email address posted on the sidebar. ^_^

2 comments:

  1. oh waht a fun challenge! I like this, and that older gentleman's response is priceless!

    ReplyDelete

Show me the love~
Comments make me smile, thanks for making me smile~

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails